This is the Live Blog of the VMworld 2012 INF-BCO2155 — “vCloud DR for Oxford University Computing Services. You’ll find my recap of the session below.
The presenters for this session are:
- Aidan Dalgleish — VMware, Inc. Consulting Architect and a fellow VCDX
- Gary Blake — VMware, Inc. Senior Consultant
- Adrian Parks — Oxford University Computing Services Senior Systems Administrator
This session will discuss the disaster recovery for provider vDC’s in vCloud Director. The solution becomes more complex in the absence of L2-stretched networks (clusters). VCloud Director works with managed objects, so it is absolutely essential that everything in the infrastructure be restored in their current state. Any rebuilds will break the managed object relationships.
Adrian Parks will go over the challenges and requirements for Oxford Computing Services.
- Over 300 independent units that each do their own thing
- Devolved IT infrastructure
- No central mandate
The University now operates a private cloud, offering Infrastructure As A Service to those 300 “independent units.”
Goals for the project:
- Primary — Protect “Shared Datacenter Virtual Infrastructure Environment” from site failure
- Secondary — …