This is the Live Blog of INF-BCO2655 — VMware vSphere Fault Tolerance for Multiprocessor Virtual Machines — Technical Preview. You’ll find my recap of the session below.
- Jim Chow — VMware, Inc. Staff Engineer
- Srinivas Kotamraju — VMware, Inc. Product Manager
- Shrinand Javadekar — VMware, Inc. Senior MTS
Shrinand Javadekar has taken the stage and is discussing vSphere availability features to date (NIC-Teaming, HA, DRS, vMotion, storage multipathing, etc.). This session will concentrate on continuous availability with Fault Tolerance.
He goes on to define continuous availability
- Zero downtime
- Zero data loss
- No loss of TCP connections
- Completely transparent to guest software
One of the major limitations of Fault Tolerance as it exists today is the fact that FT can only protect uni-processor VMs. VMware has reached a key milestone in solving …