This is the Live Blog of INF-VSP1168 — Architecting a Cloud Infrastructure. You’ll find my recap of the session below.
Speakers / Moderator:
- Chris Colotti- VCDX # 37 VMware, Inc. — Moderator
- Aidan Dalgleish — VCDX # 10 VMware, Inc.
- Duncan Epping — VCDX #007 VMware, Inc.
- Rawlinson Rivera VCDX #86, VMware, Inc.
This will be a panel discussion. The session begins with “Gathering Requirements”
Talk to Customers
- Gather information and document
- Categorize (Requirements, Nice to Have, Constraints, Assumptions
Great advice for consultants and anyone going for the VCDX certification.
Some Example Requirements
- Increase agility / flexibility while reducing costs
- 99.9% Availability
Some Example Constraints
- Hardware already acquired
- Number of NICs dictated per server
- Reuse existing equipment
Some Example Assumption
- Sufficient switch ports
- Storage can handle expected workload
- Properly trained staff
Historical best practices
- Understand why it is a best practice
- It is better to put requirements first and apply the best practices to that requirement
- Constantly evaluate best practices and question whether it still applies to newer software
Some Use Case Examples (The application comes first!)
- Server consolidation
- OPEX savings
- Resource optimization
Conceptualize Your Design
- Building Blocks — Operations, Time to Market, Compliance
Sizing / Scaling
- What does the environment look like today?
- How will size / scaling impact your Design / Project?
- What is the use Case?
Again, all …